With the Anomaly Supplemental Catchup Initiative has complete, we’re back to recording only a week or two before the podcast comes to you. Amazing, we know! First, we spend about 10 minutes catching up with what we’ve been doing, and then begin a somewhat freeform discussion about the current state of Hollywood.
First, we lay out the difference between adaptions, reboots, remakes, reimaginings, and revivals; and then try really hard to use the correct terms for the remainder of the podcast. We talk about ret-conning versus rebooting; the seven (or maybe 4) different types of stories, and share our theories on why it seems that remakes, reboots, etc just seem to be everywhere. We pull examples from all over geek culture, including but not limited to: Jurassic World, Beauty and the Beast, Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, The Walking Dead, and The X-Files.
Additional Resources & Things We Reference
- Video: Why Are There So Many Remakes?? (besides $$$) | Idea Channel | PBS Digital Studios (Released just days before our episode was scheduled – they must be mind readers over at PBS!)
- The French movie that KC references, which 12 Monkeys is based on, is called La Jetée.
- Theater: The Reduced Shakespeare Company’s Completely Hollywood Abridged
- Podcast: Anomaly Supplemental | Shakespeare and Sci-Fi (That’s us!)
- Article: Too many films are released each year, says British Film Institute (Independent.co.uk)
- Article: Remakes, Reboots, and Reimaginings (Visual Thesaurus)
- Gallery: Is it a reboot, remake, prequel or sequel? (LA Times)
What Sue’s Been Doing
- TV: RuPaul’s Dragon Race, Arrow, The Flash, Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD
- Running: Star Wars Rebel Challenge, Glass Slipper Challenge, Philadelphia Love Run Half Marathon, Brooklyn Half Marathon
- Podcasting: Women at Warp